Students are considered for admission into the graduate doctoral degree program with the Department of Physics and Astronomy after submitting an online application. Our application deadline is January 15.
The application fee is $60. Please write to email@example.com if you would like to request a fee waiver.
Students will need to upload the following materials to the online application:
- Copies of all transcripts from university-level work (undergraduate and graduate). Please do not mail hard copy transcripts at this time.
- At least three letters of recommendation from people who can comment on your potential for graduate study. Recommendations are due by our application deadline.
- Your official scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general exam.
- School Code: 2928; Department Code: 0808
- Your official score on the GRE Advanced Physics exam, sent officially from ETS.
- If you are not a native English speaker, your official score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam.
- Institutional Code: 7267; Department Code: 76
- If you have, or will have, received a degree from a US institution or an institution where the primary mode of instruction was in English, then the TOEFL/IELTS submission will be waived.
- Statement of purpose has no required content but should include information that you would like the admissions committee to know about you and your aspirations to join our program.
The exams listed above are administered by external testing agencies at certain fixed times throughout the year. Please arrange to take these examinations early enough so that the testing agency can forward the official scores to the University of Rochester by our application deadline.
We do not have minimum required scores for the GRE, GRE Physics, TOEFL or IELTS. Our admissions committee will consider test scores along with the rest of the fully completed application.
Application Decision Process
Our Graduate Admissions Committee begins its deliberations after the application deadline. Decisions are usually announced in February or March. Only completed applications are given full consideration.
Please complete an inquiry request form for more information.